Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Milestone this summer

Ok, so anyone that knows me knows that I am terrified of bears, not the wussy "oh I'm scared, look at me terrified", the can't go outside to turn off my water after dark, can't go hiking, can't go camping terrified. It's the real deal terrified.
We saw a grizzly bear by Leigh Lake in Teton National Park a few years ago and my legs went to jello and I was shaking for 20 minutes afterwards. But that is another post.
My Milestone is that I slept outside with only a thin piece of canvas seperating me from every wild animal in the surrounding Island Park area. My brother, not so subtlety, told me that I had the power to make or break this campout. And that for once I should make Chad happy and sleep in a tent. (I think he just wanted me to go quietly out of his new camper and not try to steal Jack and Bella's bed.) I took the hint.See that tent in the background...that's the one...that's where I overcame my fears...and tried not to ruin everyone's campout.
But last weekend, I went camping in style with my parents. See that couch, that was my bed. See the wall behind it seperating me from the wild.
My girls had a great time, catching frogs, catching fish...
I think the reason I love to go 4 wheeling is because I have a get-away. Plus they are loud enough to scare bears away.
And for the record...just because I slept in a tent once, doesn't mean that I ever want to do it again.

8 comments:

taggdarci said...

Well, congrats on your milestone! And why sleep in a tent when you can sleep in a camper! :o) Glad you guys had fun!

Nikki said...

I am with you, sista! Tents are for idiots! I think you are so brave. Good job. Campers are not only good for the bear thing, it's just nice to have a place that's not full of dirt to go to. (I didn't go camping for the first time til after I was married)

Biorn Family Blog said...

Remember last year, Allie and Haddie had the same swim suit...well, Allie and Marleigh also have the cute black and white one with the pink accent! Funny eh?!

Battfam said...

Hey, there is nothing wrong with being afraid of bears. They are big and fast, they have sharp teeth and long claws and they are usually hungry. I certainly understand your fear. I know you said you stayed in the tent, but did you SLEEP in the tent? Either way, you made progress. Congrats!

Myrnie said...

I, for one, was very proud of you for sleeping in the tent. It would have been the equivalent of me climbing two stories or more on a ladder. And Labor Day weekend was so fun for us.

di said...

Well Taun, you should have went bear hunting with us when we had hounds.
Your fear is much bigger than mine....it is a mouse.
Glad you had fun tho.

Nate and Kelly said...

You're so cute Taun!!! That was a lot of pressure that Val put on you... make or break the whole trip?!?! Dang :) Just remember "baby steps". Cute pictures!

Cody & Brittany Hawkes said...

Hey Taun! I loved reading your blog..when I was on ave's I noticed yours and I couldn't stop reading it! haha...so funny and way cute pics/posts of your family and the girls. Well it was fun to see you guys up camping and going boating in the cold water..we miss ID but we'll be back soon. Take care and keep having fun with your girls :) talk to ya later
Brittany