Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Christmas Spirit

So I haven't exactly been in the Christmas Spirit. For one, I don't feel good. My sinuses are causing me grief. Secondly, I had 2 parties at my house back-to-back and I was feeling the crunch...getting my house in order, have the food prepared, and put up the (damn) Christmas decor. Thirdly, I tried to go shopping and get it done Monday...I had my list and I went all over town looking for Santa Barbie...it's the only thing Indee wants. We couldn't find it anywhere and I came home with about half the things on my list crossed off. So I was grumbling...

Last night our ward had a "Night in Bethlehem" activity. I know this has been done in other wards, but this is our first experience. When they were doing the program and having the primary children act out the nativity and we were all singing the songs...I felt the Christmas Spirit touch my heart. I felt guilty for having been in such a foul mood and not really getting it.



4 comments:

Myrnie said...

Aahh...I think we've all been in your shoes. We have our own ideas of what we want to have happen, and when it doesn't....look out!Over the years we tend to learn what's important, and what isn't. I, for one, think you do great! And what a cute Bethlehem family. I especially love Indee's pose. :)

pharen said...

Been there, done that... I too am having a hard time feeling the Christmas spirit what with my tiny dirty house and this damn awful tree from the great outdoors. You should see it, it's pretty sad. I force myself to listen to Christmas music all day long hoping to feel the spirit, but that just makes me feel old when I know that I have been listening to Klassy 97 all day, and I have officially become Lynda Hawkes. "It feels like Christmas... on KLCE..." Plus I drive a minivan with crackers all smashed in the carpet. Anyway, I know what you mean. Maybe by doing our Visiting Teaching we'll feel better.
Ave

Unknown said...

I think in all the hustle and bustle, it gets hard to feel what we think we should feel this time of year. It doesn't even really feel like Christmas yet...maybe because minus the cold it still seems like it is fall. I was so tired of grading papers, that everything we have done so far has actually been a nice break from grading. I haven't had to do all of the stuff you have, so I imagine it feels like one thing and then another. I'm glad though you finally felt it. Maybe that is the point...we rush and rush to make it great and it is the seemingly simple things that actually make it feel like Christmas!

Kristie

Kim said...

I think we all struggle feeling the Christmas spirit. I was hoping to watch the Christmas devotional last week in hopes of feeling it and then when I did get to listen to it I mostly just felt guilty. So sad. I loved the Night in Bethlehem too. By the way I had a great time at your Primary party. So thanks for putting up the damn decorations!